Saturday, January 20, 2007

A dream that may come true

My first real post will not be about politics, religion, the law, or anything really important. Instead it will be about a daydream coming true. When I think of the things I would do if I were a multi-billionaire, one thing always floats to the top of my mind. I would produce a miniseries of my favorite books of all time, George R.R. Martin's series, A Song of Ice and Fire. It would take a miniseries unless I could find a studio willing to even take my money to make 18-30 feature length movies.

And now, Lo! Variety is reporting that HBO has inked a deal to do just that. A Song of Ice and Fire miniseries. The director is unknown and it is WAY too early for casting. Nevertheless, I find myself giddy with anticipation. It could be so very good.

Strangely, one of the things that hit me hardest was that this will be a unique opportunity for a dwarf actor to really play a good role--Tyrion Lannister. A role where dwarfism will be a central part of the character and where jibes, shame, and self-mockery will be a big part of every scene. You rarely (ever?) see a Little Person play a role where the fact of the character's dwarfism is even acknowledged. He probably doesn't know it yet, but some sub 4'6" guy out there is going to have a chance at an Emmy playing Shae's Giant of a Lannister.

For those of you who have read ASOIAF, as the series is acronymed by the faithful, you will no doubt be aware that the series is full of frank sexuality--homosexual, with girls under the modern age of consent; violence--warfare, domestic violence, trial by combat, death by molten gold, etc.; and ambiguity--good guy? bad guy? These things generally are sanitized or simplified for TV. But not HBO. Look at Rome, Deadwood, The Wire. If they make ASOIAF anywhere nearly as well as they do those shows, I'll be very satisfied.

For those of you who haven't read the series, for shame. Move yourselves at all deliberate speed to your place of book buying and purchase all four books that are currently available (number five will be release soon). Or you could just go to Amazon. com:

No comments: